Thursday, March 1, 2018

Worship Matters: Guiding Principles

Because everybody is so different and unique in his or her own way, we can expect a church to be filled with people who worship differently. This chapter is about the three types of approaches to worship. According to Kauflin, people in a church fall into one of three categories: regulative, normative, or "whatever". Basically, some people believe we must only do what scripture says, others believe we must only adhere to what it doesn't say, and the rest do as we feel is correct. The church isn't meant to become unified by having the same approach to worship; it is supposed to become unified by working with others to overcome these differences, ultimately working at the goal to glorify God.

I find that I can really relate to this chapter. In my church, some people are absolutely strict in following what scripture tells us. As a result, tension arises as they feel others aren't taking scripture "seriously enough". I believe that a healthy church is not devoid of these tensions, but works through them together.

3 comments:

  1. Yes I understand what you are going through. I also feel like there is some tension at my church but also in my normal life about what I should do to be a good Christian, and now I just need to take it and understand where they are coming from so it becomes healthy tension

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, some congregation stresses the importance of the principles, but failed to perform it. It's more important to realize it ourselves than just learning about it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tensions are important in the church, especially if they're healthy and they help the church grow stronger in the end. Hopefully the church you go to will get through this time and come out closer after. It is important to take the Bible seriously, but it's also important to help those around you follow it.

    ReplyDelete

What is "worship"? | Bob Kauflin

This is the last blog post! This video is an interview of Kauflin as he approaches worship from a non-musical aspect. When asked for his bes...