Kauflin discusses the influence of the worship team in this chapter. He tells us that we should not take it too personally when the church is not involved or "feeling" the music; although extremely passionate worship teams do succeed in doing so, they can not force it. Kauflin lists out possible faults worship leaders may make in trying to invoke passion in the church. For example, they should not pick and choose the more emotional songs simply for the known results. Instead of trying to manipulate the church into feeling passionate, we should let God do the work in them and open up their hearts to the worship.
This chapter sort of opened my eyes to the fact that sometimes I would attempt to manipulate the church into feeling emotional by picking the more passionate songs. Instead of doing that, I should just work on exhibiting the joy inside myself as I lead worship and let God do the rest for the worshippers.
I agree completely. I feel like I always want to find new and interesting songs to draw in the audience so that they can show all the emotion that I want to see. I should actually choose songs that are appropriate for the speaker and truly connect with God on that day.
ReplyDeleteI like what you said with your applications. I agree that unfortunately we’ve tried to manipulate the student body into feeling something by playing the slow and emotional songs. But all we can do and what we should do is exhibit the joy we have for worship and give it up to God.
ReplyDeleteAgree, sometimes expression is a better approach to get people’s trust. During performances, we should express ourselves more so crowds can sense our energy. We should all try harder at sharing God’s spirit!
ReplyDelete